May 27, 2009

90

This is my grandmother, Iris. Isn't she lovely? She has aged quite gracefully, one might say. I recently attended her 90th Birthday (a surprise party!). I thought to myself: why is it that I am always capturing those moments of first time parents or newborn babes etc., and it is rare to see fresh portraits of older families or elderly people?

I then decided I wanted to take a picture of my grandmother during this, her 90th year. She does not like to be photographed, so I had to trick her. Okay, so maybe not that different from tricking a camera-shy toddler at a photo session! We were in a hotel room in Boston, getting ready to attend my twin sister's graduation ceremony. I asked her to be my "practice" model so that I could adjust all of my manual settings on my camera for the indoor light. I teased and joked with her and got her smiling, and I told her I would delete all of the "test" photos. I lied. I'm sorry...well, no I'm not. Look at her. A glowing, 90-year-old grandmother I cherish beyond measure. And now I have a portrait to always remember her and all of her charm, grace, and beauty. I love you, Grandma!

No comments: