September 10, 2010

DIY Friday: Upcycled Cupcake Box

Today will mark my first "DIY Friday" project. I can't promise to do a DIY project every Friday, but I will promise to do a DIY project - either one I've come up with myself, or one I will try that someone else has come up with - on random Fridays. If it's a hit, maybe I'll commit to once a week :) So...here goes!

It is our neighbor's birthday. My 2-year-old understands well, now that he has a few birthday parties under his belt, what usually goes along with birthdays: cupcakes. So, we decided to make some cupcakes to give to our neighbor for her birthday (one for her, her husband, and their cat, no less!)

I didn't have anything suitable - or so I thought - around the house to present the cupcakes in...so I made one. Keep in mind, I have a hungry toddler and a mobile baby under foot and in my ears while making this project, so if it's not seamless, please forgive me. But overall, I think it turned out cute: an upcycled* cupcake box.

Supplies:
Box of your choice
Paper of your choice
Scissors
Scotch tape
Pen
Cupcake Liner
optional: ribbon or other embellishments

and don't forget the cupcakes!

*Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.


Here's how it went:
Step 1: Find a box that is the size you want.

This box was my inspiration. My son begs for fruit snacks, so we keep a stash in the cookie jar to bribe him on occasion. Just as I was opening this box we got today and unloading it into the cookie jar, I thought "this is the perfect size for the cupcakes we're giving to our neighbor!" (which were cooling on the countertop nearby, mind you).

Step 2: I took a cupcake liner and traced the bottom onto the box. It's okay to be a little generous. I must admit I ended up having to squish my cupcakes in just a little because I was trying to be a little bit too precise.

Step 3: Cut out the circles to make holes.

Step 4: Wrap the box.

I have a roll of easel paper on hand, which we frequently use for drawing and painting. I just wanted a plain sort of paper to cover the print on the box. You could use wrapping paper, colored paper, tissue paper, or even fabric, if you so desire.

Step 5: Poke holes in your wrapping job and peel the paper through.

Step 6: This step is optional if you already love the paper you wrapped the box in. But I wanted to add a little something extra, so I used a spare piece of scrapbook paper I had lying around. I knew it wouldn't wrap all the way around the box, but I didn't mind. I just tapes the sides to the white paper. I also grabbed some ribbon to embellish the sides of the paper just a bit. Easy peasy. Taped the ribbon to the bottom. The hardest part was cutting the holes out to semi-match the placement of the original holes. But it wasn't too hard, either.

Step 7: I taped one side of an extra piece of the scrapbook paper to the box, so I could write a little note, and then fold it in as a little tag. You could just tape a tag onto the box, or slide a small card under the paper if you wanted. I was going for something simple, especially since when I carry the box over, I will be wearing one baby and holding my toddler's hand near the busy street we live on.


Step 8: Add the cupcakes! This is the best part, of course!

I can hardly wait for the kids to wake up from their naps so we can deliver these pretty little things to our neighbor and wish her a Happy Birthday!

Oh...there's one waking up right now!

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: